Economic Impact Study reveals Greater Moncton International Airport is vital to regional economy
In 2015, the Greater Moncton International Airport (GMIA) undertook an Economic Impact Study to provide clarity in regards to how its operations contribute to the overall economic health of the region. As the primary aviation gateway for New Brunswick and the central Maritimes, the airport not only helps to generate thousands of jobs and tens of millions of dollars in tax revenue, it also plays an important role as a facilitator for attracting businesses to the region.
The study, which looked at 2014 data, revealed:
• GMIA helped to generate $665 million of economic activity that year.
• GMIA helped to create 2,798 local jobs, resulting in $23 million in household income.
• $37 million in taxes paid to municipal, provincial and federal governments.
• $247 million contributed to Canada’s gross domestic product (GDP).
Beyond the numbers, the study also looked at the wider economic benefits of the airport, including its role as a facilitator of industry. When businesses choose site locations, they factor in connectivity by air for both passengers and cargo because it enhances competitiveness. For example, air access makes it possible to ship time-sensitive goods – such as seafood – from great distances cost-effectively and quickly.
In the photo above, Greater Moncton International Airport Authority Inc. President and CEO Bernard LeBlanc speaks to those in attendance at the Annual General Meeting.
Completion of Airport Operations Facility improves operational efficiency and replaces aging infrastructure
• $13-million project fully funded through the Airside Infrastructure Rehabilitation Fund (AIR Fund)
• Building combines fire hall, electrical and mechanical maintenance garage
• Energy-efficient facility that meets environmental sustainable building guidelines
Thank you to everyone who attended our Annual General Meeting!
Thank you to everyone who attended our Annual General Meeting, including a number of dignitaries and elected officials such as the Hon. Roger Melanson, Minister of Finance and Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure (left); Hon. Ginette Petitpas Taylor, MP for Moncton-Riverview-Dieppe (centre); and Diane Cormier, member of the Board of Directors for the Greater Moncton International Airport Authority (right).
Get your copy of the Greater Moncton International Airport Authority’s 2015 Annual Report
Click here to download a PDF version of the Greater Moncton International Airport Authority’s 2015 Annual Report.